Fresh, healthy food is vital to living a fulfilling life. For those Northfield neighbors who are unable to get the food they need, we offer two main food programs.
The Food Shelf
The Food Shelf has been providing quality and healthy food to those in need since 1985. The Food Shelf stocks food such as canned fruits and vegetables, soup, pasta and tomato sauce, rice, milk, macaroni and cheese, peanut butter, canned meat, and baby food and formula.
We also stock non-food items such as toilet paper, diapers, detergent and soap. The Food Shelf offers bags of food for emergencies, deliveries for those who can’t come to our location and a Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors (NAPS).
What to expect at the Food Shelf during COVID-19
- Food is available for anyone who needs it. No ID or proof of income required. All are welcome!
- Our staff and volunteers speak Spanish.
- No-contact, drive-thru service and curbside pickup.
- We take your “order” at your car. You choose your food from a menu, we pack it up and bring it out to you.
- You are welcome to come for fresh produce every open day (Monday and Friday 3:00-4:45 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday 5:00-6:45 p.m.).
- No transportation? We can deliver!
- We provide an average of 32+ pounds of food distributed per person including fresh fruits and vegetables, meat, and dairy products.
- We do our best to honor dietary restrictions, allergies, and culturally specific food requests.
- Minimal information is requested from you (name, address, number of people in your household, ages). Information you share with the CAC is kept safe and confidential. Food from the food shelf is not a public benefit and does not count toward public charge.
- Staff are available to help with other paperwork, SNAP application and other assistance, answer employment questions, provide financial assistance for rent/utilities, and more.
Food Drive Ideas
- Three Meals a Day – Collect for a specific meal
- Breakfast – Cereal granola, granola bars, pop tarts
- Lunch – PB&J, canned fruit, canned pasta, tuna and mayo
- Dinner – Helpers, stew, mac and cheese, pasta with sauce
- Pasta Patrol – Collect mac and cheese, canned pasta, dry pasta and sauce
- Themed Drives – (Give from the Heart – heart healthy foods; March Madness – organize a basketball shoot out for hunger with food as the entry fee; Food Hunt for Hunger; Rise and Shine – breakfast foods)
We have currently suspended our Thursday’s Table meals until further notice. Thank you.
Each Thursday, Thursday’s Table provides a hot and healthy meal for the public. Since its start in 2008, Thursday’s Table has been dishing up nutritious food to around 200 people each week.
Meals are served from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. in the Northfield Community Resource Center’s dining room, located at 1651 Jefferson Parkway.
The CAC's Impact
Last year, we distributed over 540,000 pounds of food through the Food Shelf.
We rescued over 249,000 pounds of food from local retailers.
Contact us to learn about the Food Shelf or Thursday’s Table.