Fresh, healthy food is vital to living a fulfilling life. For those Northfield neighbors who are unable to get the food they need, we offer two main food programs.
The Food Shelf
The Food Shelf has been providing quality and healthy food to those in need since 1985. The Food Shelf stocks food such as canned fruits and vegetables, soup, pasta and tomato sauce, rice, milk, macaroni and cheese, peanut butter, canned meat, and baby food and formula.
We also stock non-food items such as toilet paper, diapers, detergent and soap. The Food Shelf offers bags of food for emergencies, deliveries for those who can’t come to our location and a Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors (NAPS).
Minnesota FoodShare Month
The Minnesota FoodShare March Campaign is the largest grassroots food and fund drive in the state, accomplished by participating groups and individuals engaged in the fight against hunger in support of our 300 partner food shelves. The CAC relies on community contributions in order to source the food our neighbors need.
Will you please consider helping us reach our goal of raising $125,000 and 50,000 pounds of food during the month of March?
How You Can Help
- Increase your impact by making a monetary donation.
- Collect most wanted items to bring to the CAC Food Shelf. We have plenty of refrigeration and welcome fresh or frozen foods.
- Host a unique or themed food drive. Check out the ideas below to get started.
Food Drive Ideas
- Three Meals a Day – Collect for a specific meal
- Breakfast – Cereal granola, granola bars, pop tarts
- Lunch – PB&J, canned fruit, canned pasta, tuna and mayo
- Dinner – Helpers, stew, mac and cheese, pasta with sauce
- Event Admission – Reduce the price of admission for each can/box donated
- Pasta Patrol – Collect mac and cheese, canned pasta, dry pasta and sauce
- Themed Drives – (Give from the Heart – heart healthy foods; March Madness – organize a basketball shoot out for hunger with food as the entry fee; Food Hunt for Hunger; Rise and Shine – breakfast foods)
Each Thursday, Thursday’s Table provides a hot and healthy meal for the public. Since its start in 2008, Thursday’s Table has been dishing up nutritious food to around 200 people each week.
Meals are served from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. in the Northfield Community Resource Center’s dining room, located at 1651 Jefferson Parkway.
The CAC's Impact
Last year, we distributed over 540,000 pounds of food through the Food Shelf.
We rescued over 249,000 pounds of food from local retailers.
Contact us to learn about the Food Shelf or Thursday’s Table.