The Community Action Center’s work is driven by a top-notch staff dedicated to improving the lives of individuals in our community. Would you like to join our team?
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “CAC Executive Director.” We will begin reviewing résumés in late April, 2018, and will continue accepting applications until the position is filled. No calls please.
The Community Action Center (CAC) is a 501(c)(3) serving the life-sustaining needs of those in the greater Northfield, Minnesota area.
- Our mission is to promote a healthy, caring and just community for all people through resources, advocacy and volunteer effort.
- We are neighbors helping neighbors: the CAC allocates close to $2,000,000 in resources annually; about a quarter of this is in the form of donations (of food and clothing) and another quarter is in the form of volunteer time.
- Our programs – from Creating Homes to Feeding the Hungry – meet the most basic needs of individuals and families who are seeking assistance. Many people rely on the CAC for support as they seek independence.
- The CAC celebrates its 50th year serving the community, and our current Executive Director has served in this capacity for 17 years.
- We are looking for an experienced, compassionate leader to join the CAC in the role of Executive Director. The Executive Director provides leadership, fiscal management, and strategic vision and direction of the CAC. The Executive Director is responsible for the acquisition, use, and development of all agency resources – human, financial and physical. The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors and works with the Board to fulfill its governance and fiduciary functions. The ideal candidate for this position is compelled by the CAC’s efforts to alleviate poverty in Northfield and has previous management experience in a dynamic environment as well as a proven track record for effective leadership.
- Leadership – Articulate and model a set of guiding principles and a leadership philosophy that is well understood, widely supported, consistently applied and effectively implemented throughout the CAC. Effectively supervise, lead, develop and retain a high-performing staff. Oversee organizational operations.
- Strategic Vision and Direction – Support the CAC’s mission and lead the development and implementation of a long-term strategy that will meet the needs and objectives of all stakeholders. Increase the visibility and community awareness of the CAC.
- Fiscal Management – Develop appropriate financial objectives and lead the CAC in achieving its goals. Ensure that appropriate systems are in place to protect assets and maintain control of operations.
- Fund Development - Set and work to meet ambitious goals for future fundraising. Drive the writing of grants and submissions of proposals and reports.
- Internal and External Communication – Develop an effective communication strategy and serve as chief spokesperson and advocate for the CAC.
- Relationships with External Stakeholders – Collaborate with other agencies and ensure that all relationships with external stakeholders are handled in a manner consistent with the CAC’s values and mission.
- Relationship with the Board of Directors – Keep the members of the board fully informed on all aspects of the status and development of the CAC.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree, or its equivalent, in social work, social service administration, nonprofit
administration or related field.
- At least five (5) years’ work experience in human services or management.
- Proven track record of fundraising, cultivating and managing relationships with key
- Experience with fiscal management.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to create and implement efficient operational systems and plan strategically.
- Proven success in recruiting, managing and developing a strong team.
- Excellent judgment and strong decision-making ability.
- Passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed.
The ideal candidate will have experience with design and operation of human service delivery systems and community organization.
The Executive Director position is full-time and supervises 3 direct report staff members. The CAC has a combination of 23 full and part-time staff members, with a combined FTE of 15.
Salary and Benefits:
Benefits include personal leave, paid holidays, and employer contribution to a retirement plan. Salary determined by Board of Directors. Commensurate with experience.
Apply by filling out application for employment and mail to:
or fax to: 507-664-3540 Attention: Karen Smetana