Another very cool video about the good work in our region! Check it out…
November 18, 2015
November 16, 2015
Christmas Sharing is a holiday gift program sponsored by the Community Action Center of Northfield. Through the generosity of hundreds of individual donors and dedicated volunteers, approximately 850 children from 350 households will receive gifts through the Christmas Sharing program this year. It takes a whole community working together to make this magical program possible.
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
- DONATE MONEY: Cash gifts are used to meet specific needs and fill in the gaps. The fundraising goal for 2015 is $25,000.00. Checks can be made out to: CAC-Christmas Sharing, 1651 Jefferson Parkway – Suite HS-200, Northfield, MN 55057.
- DONATE GIFTS: New, unwrapped toys and gifts can be dropped off in designated donation boxes at your church or at the Community Action Center from November 15 through December. 6.
- DONATE QUILTS OR FLEECE BLANKETS: New, store bought or homemade. Each family receives a blanket or quilt. Please contact Deb Laven for more information, 507-663-9062.
- DONATE YOUR TIME: Volunteers are needed to help on December 7, 8 & 9 with the sorting of gifts, assisting participants with their gift selections and wrapping gifts and gift boxes. Please email email@example.com or call the CAC reception desk, 507-664-3550 to sign up.
- BAKE COOKIES: Cookies are served to participants and volunteers during the event. Please contact Mary Peterson for more information, 507-649-1889.
- SEW SLEEPWEAR: – Each child receives pajamas. Pre-cut kits are available at the CAC Clothes Closet, 600 Water St. Please contact Emily Schmitz for more information, 507-645-8582.
If you know of anyone who should be invited to attend Christmas Sharing, please encourage them to call the CAC, 507-664-3550, for eligibility information.
Donation Box Locations
All Saints Episcopal Church
Allina Medical Clinic
Arcadia Charter School
Bethel Lutheran Church
Bridgewater Elementary School
Carleton College Bookstore
City Light Church
Coldwell Banker Realty
College City Beverage
Community Resource Bank
Cornerstone Community Church
Dokmo Ford Chrysler
First National Bank
First United Church of Christ
Frandsen Bank & Trust
Highview Christiania Church, Lakeville
JBT Food Tech
Little Prairie United Methodist Church
Multek Flexible Circuits Inc.
Northfield Evangelical Free Church
Northfield High School
Northfield Middle School
Sibley Elementary School
St. Dominic Catholic Church
St. John’s Lutheran Church
St. Olaf College Bookstore
St. Peter’s Lutheran Church
Taylor Truck Line
Trinity Lutheran Church
United Methodist Church
US Federal Credit Union
Wells Fargo Bank
The Community Action Center is putting on a event to commemorate Homelessness Awareness Week on the evening of Thursday, November 19th. There will be a program featuring speakers who have worked with the homeless population, beginning at 7:30 PM. This will be followed by a sleep-in, where we will sleep outside in Bridge Square downtown.
This event is intended to bring awareness to the issue of homelessness in general, and in Northfield specifically. We hope to bring awareness to the challenges that homeless people face on a daily basis. However, this event is not intended to replicate or trivialize the experiences of being homeless, instead, it is to draw awareness to the stigmatized and often invisible experience of being homeless.
Please bring warm clothes, a sleeping bag, and whatever else you feel is appropriate. We will have a fire to provide some warmth, but the forecast is for cold weather. Before the event, you are invited to come to Thursday’s Table, a free community dinner held from 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM in the Northfield Community Resource Center’s dining room at 1651 Jefferson Parkway. There will not be food served at Bridge Square. If you do not feel able to sleep out at Bridge Square, please still feel welcome to come to the program and leave when you need to. If you have any questions, you can e-mail Charlie Platt (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Eleanor Worley (email@example.com). Have a wonderful day!
Charlie Platt and Eleanor Worley
Community Action Center Social Work Interns
November 11, 2015
Is there poverty in Northfield? You can help at the Community Action Center.
All proceeds will go towards the purchase of fabric for pajamas for the following year’s Christmas Sharing distribution.
Tuesday, November 17, 2015
Senior Center Lobby – NCRC
1651 Jefferson Pkwy
Northfield, MN 55057
8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
Children sizes: 1-12 (flannel tops and bottoms)
Adult sizes:Extra Small – Medium (flannel bottoms only)